Please enquire for dates available
The First Aid at Work Requalification course provides in-depth training for people who need to renew their First Aid at Work qualification to allow them to continue to be first aiders within the workplace. The course syllabus is as specified by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and is fully compliant with The Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations 1981
Who should attend?
This course is designed for those people who hold a current and valid First Aid at Work qualification. For those candidates whose First Aid at Work certificate has lapsed, St Andrew’s First Aid Training and Supplies Ltd will allow candidates to take this course if they attend within a month of the original certificate’s expiry date.
On completion of training, successful candidates will be able to:
- understand the role of the first aider, including reference to:
- the importance of preventing cross infection
- the need for recording incidents and actions
- use of available equipment
- assess the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency
- administer first aid to an adult casualty who is unconscious (including seizure)
- administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation to an adult, including using an AED
- administer first aid to an adult casualty who is choking
- administer first aid to an adult casualty who is wounded and bleeding
- administer first aid to an adult casualty who is suffering from shock
- provide appropriate first aid for minor injuries (including small cuts, grazes and bruises, minor burns and scalds, small splinters)
- administer first aid to an adult casualty with:
- injuries to bones, muscles and joints, including suspected spinal injuries
- chest injuries
- burns and scalds
- eye injuries
- sudden poisoning
- anaphylactic shock
- recognise the presence of major illness (including heart attack, stroke, epilepsy, asthma, diabetes) and provide appropriate first aid
How long does the course last?
2 days. Candidates are required to complete twelve contact hours of training and assessment. It is therefore necessary that candidates are able to attend for the whole duration of the course to allow them to be eligible for continuous assessment and certification.
9.00am until 4.45pm
Candidates will be assessed throughout the course. Evidence of underpinning knowledge and practical skills competence will be recorded in a Student Workbook.
Successful candidates will receive a St Andrew’s First Aid Training and Supplies Ltd ‘First Aid at Work’ certificate, which is valid for three years.
Along with the HSE, St Andrew’s First Aid Training and Supplies Ltd strongly recommends that candidates complete an Annual Update course each year during the lifespan of their valid certificate to prevent first aid skills fade.
Please consider the following factors when choosing your candidate(s) to attend our First Aid at Work Requalification course:
- reliability, disposition and communication skills
- aptitude and ability to absorb new knowledge and learn new skills
- ability to cope with stressful and physically demanding emergency procedures
- normal duties, which should be such that they may be able to respond immediately and rapidly to an emergency